Teaching your children to look after their body and mind is very important from a young age, as they grow up they not only love and respect themselves but also feel utmost gratitude in their daily life. There are tons of benefits of yoga and meditation in kids, teaching them early has a bigger impact, it helps them achieve both good mental and physical health. Here is a guide to yoga meditation for kids, the benefits, and how to practice it.
Benefits of Yoga and Meditation in kids
- Any kind of yoga is based on the main step and that is breathing, when kids practice yoga they obtain total control on their breath which helps them focus on the present moment of their life. On the other hand, meditation opens the soul for them, they learn themselves better, never doubt their worth, and it opens a new creative world of their own.
- Teaching yoga from an early age helps build a good personality as well as physical health, young children have an undergoing development on their body and they are the most flexible at this time. Yoga helps the flexibility to stay till they are grown up and reduces the possibility of any physical complication.
- Every day school, study, homework, etc has more impact on our kids than we think. Taking a yoga meditation break or practicing it regularly expands their capacity, it reduces stress, increases energy and curiosity, they learn better and they perform better.
- Another benefit of yoga meditation for kids is relaxing sleep; When kids sleep better they focus better, their attention increases which does not get disturbed by regular study stress and other activities.
Different Yoga poses for kids
- Start with the basics of yoga and meditation, easy and simple poses like sitting properly, breathing the right way, closing and opening the eyes, placing the hands in the right position, giving support, etc are where you should begin with.
- Tree pose: Stand straight, keep the face upwards, then slowly raise one leg and bend it, touch the inner thigh by the sole of the raised feet, throw hands over the head and touch them together straight, the whole body should be straight as a tree, breath in and out slowly.
- Butterfly pose: Sit straight, bend your legs and touch each other’s soles of the feet by using both hands, close your eyes and breathe deeply.
- Flower pose: raise your legs upward from the butterfly pose by using your hands, balance sitting on your buttocks, weave your hands under the legs, pretend to be a flower, hold as long as you can, breathe normally.
How to meditate for kids
Children can start yoga and meditation from the age of 3-4 and start feeling a change in their bodies, however, you should not force them, let them be comfortable, practice in front of them they will surely join. Make sure there is no distraction while you are doing it with them, a quiet place, even a garden/backyard can be an amazing place; set a time for them such as 5 minutes of meditation and 10 minutes of yoga in the morning and before going to sleep.
Teaching yoga meditation for kids helps a lot with the negativity they are going to face while growing up; Moreover, being mindful and grateful helps the children accept failure, overlook jealousy, and reduce self-doubt, which they can transform into something positive.